Tuesday, February 21, 2012

February Sew What! Community Sewing Class Project

I made my Valentine a mug rug so he can stop using paper towels for his coffee mug!  I had so much fun making this little cutie!  I just discovered mug rugs about a month ago and have fallen in love with them!

I wasn't sure how big, or small, to make this one.  I just guessed at the size, after trying out a mug to fit.  It worked out really well, and hubby really likes his mug rug! (He had no clue what a mug rug was - imagine that!)

When I found the built-in decorative stitch with hearts on it, I thought what a no-brainer using that stitch would be!  I used regular all-purpose thread, thinking the rayon embroidery thread would be too glitzy for the mug side of the rug.  I do like it this way.

I used flannel fabric for the mug side, to make it look more "manly."  Along with the cotton/poly blend plaid fabric for the snack side, I like the way they compliment each other.

I used the rayon embroidery thread for the applique stitch on the hearts.  The applique consists of two sizes of hearts, stacked one on top of the other.  I like the way it turned out.
I'm teaching this project at my community sewing class this Thursday, so I hope to have some more photos to share of what my students make in class.  Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment